Re: The Phaistos Disc

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 13:02:20 CST

    At 13:42 -0500 2006-04-01, Elliotte Harold wrote:

    >I accept your arguments that we can reasonably identify and
    >enumerate the characters in advance of decipherment.

    They have been identified and unchanged for nearly a century.
    (2008-07-03 is the centenary.)

    >I do wonder, however, about the assignment of Unicode properties
    >such as punctuation and LTR to individual characters. That seems to
    >be a big leap, based on very little actual evidence. A second
    >instance of the script could completely overturn all of this.

    Modern scholars who work with Egyptian use LTR though Egyptian
    exhibits both. As with Etruscan, it seems prudent to assign LTR to
    this script for ease of use, considering that its *main* use is as
    examples within other LTR text, this is the only thing that makes
    sense.

    >If the disc is encoded at this time, are those properties then set
    >in stone? Could we change them later?

    They can't be changed, but you can use directional override
    characters if you want to reverse directionality. You can do that
    with Latin, even.