Re: The Phaistos Disc

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 00:35:09 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote:

    > Michael, having written hundreds of such documents, is probably a lot more
    > confident than I would be about whether people take him seriously.

    What happened to the proposal for heart-shaped dots? I'm sure they would
    find a lot more application than Phaistos disk characters! (Admittedly,
    most renderers do a poor job of producing multi-coloured glyphs.) I also
    recall someone somewhere citing the Phaistos disk characters as an example
    of what would *not* be encoded.

    The fact is that some people did think (or hope?) he was joking when he
    resurrected the Phaistos disk character proposal.

    The Phaistos disk characters run up against one major objection from TUS 4.0
    Section 1.1 (Coverage) Paragraph 3: 'Note, however, that the Unicode
    Standard does not encode idiosyncratic, personal, novel, or private-use
    characters, nor does it encode logos or graphics.' The Phaistos disk
    characters are not being encoded to enable meaning to be encoded - they are
    proposed as a handy way to call up certain graphics, namely the pictures of
    certain characters.

    The heart-shaped dots run up against another issue - sometimes the meaning
    of text lies in its typeface! It can be done more crudely, e.g. the choice
    of Roman numerals v. Arabic numerals (Christian, not godless), or a choice
    of Thai digits over European digits to assert Thainess or possibly other
    conservative values.

    Richard.