Bengali danda signs (and other samples of Indic dandas)

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 04:52:04 CST

    Richard W. wrote:
    >Not at the resolution of that sample. The dandas in the body of the text
    >look just like Devanagari dandas.

    Not really. In fact, Bengali danda signs are very important signs
    for disunifying the danda signs of South Asia. Kaithi dandas
    or Saurashtra dandas are lot more closer to Devanagari dandas
    (which are/will be disunified in Unicode), than compared
    with Bengali danda signs.

    Pl. look at high resolution pictures of current Bengali danda signs:
    (1) http://groups.google.com/group/CTamil/msg/ec2f4d9a4868cd75
    (2) http://groups.google.com/group/CTamil/msg/22d94864c2b26ed9
    (3) http://groups.google.com/group/CTamil/msg/e0e7c49e593e65e6
    (click download, save attachments to desktop to open).

    Bengali daNDa and Devanagari daNDa and Tamil
    daNDa are different symbols. Take
    a look at the pdf, samples of Bengali daNDas
    in pp. 11-12 of the 27-page document:
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2879.pdf
    danda with a left terminal at top and right terminal
    at bottom, especially interesting is the double danda
    the left one is much shorter - quite different from
    Devaagari ones.

    Different danda signs in 10 Indian scripts:
    http://groups.google.com/group/CTamil/msg/add6c8f5dae1b007
    seeking disunification of Indic dandas.

    In Marathi (Modi) script:
    http://groups.google.com/group/CTamil/msg/25993e4e34f1f96a

    Hope this helps,
    N. Ganesan

    PS:
    > (Thais like loops in their characters - Thai 'c's look very like 'e's!)

    The loops come very much from South India., look at
    Malayalam, Telugu/Kannada scripts. Loops originate
    in Palllava Grantha script of 5th century onwards.
    Also, see Sinhala script which has origins in South Indian
    Pallava writings. ~NG