Re: Planck's constant U+210E

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 04:11:37 CST

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote on Friday, April 21, 2006 at 7:02 PM

    > There's a potential future problem. Mathematicians keep inventing new
    > symbols as they need them, using, say, Latin or Greek letters in some
    > particular style (say, bold italic underlined and overlined - there are
    > infinite possibilities).

    Do you mean seriffed, like <U+1D482, U+0331, U+0304>, or sans-serif, like
    <U+1D656, U+0331, U+0304>? (I assume you didn't mean with connecting
    underline and overline.)

    A few may be overlooked.

    But don't forget that the set of CJK ideographs isn't closed either. Very
    little is actually closed. I think it would be prudent to reserve a
    surrogate plane for fifty years if using sequences of three surrogates
    (high-high-low and high-low-low) to extend UTF-16 is unacceptable. If
    reserving it hurts, extension is obviously necessary. (Actually, only about
    four thousand 'middle surrogate' points need be reserved if we use high-high
    surrogate for middle surrogate-low surrogate for middle surrogate-low
    surrogate for the points not needed during the lifetime of current UTC
    members.)

    Richard.