Re: Welsh Collation

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 10:55:38 CST

    At 15:57 +0100 2006-04-21, Richard Wordingham wrote:
    >Debbie Garside wrote on Friday, April 21, 2006 at 2:57 PM
    >
    >>The Welsh do not use CGJ but only because in general they don't know of its
    >>existence. Having spoken to a number of (Welsh) translators today I am
    >>assured that if there was an easy keyboard shortcut, usable within MS Office
    >>for instance, that would join the letters (making them as one for sorting
    >>purposes) they would most definitely use it.

    That would be the wrong solution for them.

    >A vital technical point: Since Unicode 4.1.0 (March 2005), you
    >insert CGJ to stop Unicode characters joining to form a single Welsh
    >letter. Fewer key strokes! Thus you'd have a CGJ in Williams but
    >not Llewelyn.

    The Welsh do not use CGJ at all, and they should not. I have been
    asked by the Welsh for recommendations from time to time, and I have
    never told them to use CGJ. The collation sequence should be tailored
    instead. Burdening Welsh text with CGJ would be very bad indeed.