Re: Running out of code points

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 02:32:44 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote on Sunday, April 23, 2006 at 1:40 AM

    > Kevin Brown <graphity at adelaide dot on dot net> wrote:

    >> What, no provision for the IMP (Intergalactic Multilingual Plane)???

    >> You can do an awful lot of space exploration in 500 years :)
    >
    > I think the premise is, if that happens, we can deal with it and make the
    > necessary policy changes at that point.

    The worry is that the code points needed to do it well will already have
    unnecessarily been allocated. Depending on how lone surrogates are to be
    treated in the transitional period, one needs between 1 BMP point (for 2**31
    values) and one plane (for 2**30 values) to do it in 4 UTF-16 code elements
    (i.e. 8 bytes). Is it reasonable expect UTF-16 to drop out of use?

    > I hope you were not being serious.

    It is the *Universal* character set. Or is this US hype, where 'world' just
    means 'nationwide' and 'universal' just means global. :-) As to the
    extra-terrestrial scripts, well, a lot depends on who does the travelling.

    Richard.