Re: Unicode fonts

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 13:11:36 CST

    From: "Alexej Kryukov" <akrioukov@newmail.ru>
    > Again, I see no problem here. The newline character can be matched as
    > "\n" in Vim regxsps, so that you can easily replace it with anything
    > else, if necessary.

    No it does not work for me: I can't match spans of text that cover several lines. the \n just matches the final \n at end of line but not anything else after it.

    May be this has changed in some recent version? well vim uses the same editor engine with a GUI or the console version. The regexps and keyboard commands are normally the same.The only difference between console and GUI version is the behavior of the graphic renderer. But both versions need to use the same cursor positioning system for going onechar before or after.

    This is where there are some tricks with international text. The supports works inthe GUI provided that it works in the console based version. There are serious issues with clusters.

    Also the windows version of Vim has some problems created only by the ported GUI that isnot required for Unix/Linux as it works fine with just the console version in a X11 window. This all depends on the capabilities of the console terminal on X11 (and so from the X terminal used which dependson the X11 font rendering) and so the Unix/Linux system must have support for UTF-8 text consoles and so the X terminal must support this encoding and be able to use OpenType fonts instead of just the common legacy bitmap fonts found in many X11 distribs.

    Vim assumes the capabilities of the terminal using the TERM environment and support libraries that implement the terminal capabilities. This setting ishard to emulate on Windows, so it's necessarily imperfect.