Re: Unicode fonts

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 22:47:56 CST

    From: "Alexej Kryukov" <akrioukov@newmail.ru>
    > On Monday 01 May 2006 23:11, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >> No it does not work for me: I can't match spans of text that cover
    >> several lines. the \n just matches the final \n at end of line but
    >> not anything else after it.
    >
    > What exactly you are doing to search for a newline character? For me
    > :/\n<enter> highlights all ends of lines in the current buffer, while
    > :%s/\n//<enter> removes all newline characters at all (or replaces
    > them with whatever I want). If this is not that you need, please
    > describe the problem more precisely.

    I use newlines the same way you use it. (Note: I have not precised exactly how newlines are encoded; Idon't care if they use Unix or Mac or DOS style

    I just want to be able to match for example "aaaaa\nbbbbbb" and replace it with anything,i.e. not having to play with the ''vi'' join and merge commands; to match "aaaa" and replace it with "ccccccc\ndddddddd".

    The later is possible with a sed script using a loop, but the first case requires (with vi or sed) first substituting allnewlines by some unique character like '¤' (using "tr" for example), provided that I'm sure this '¤' substitution character is not present in the whole text, and then I can usesearch/replace patternsusing this unique character, then I have to translate again this '¤' into newlines (using tr).

    Such thing is very common when I need to make search/replace operations in XML files with the usual indentation, because search patterns are contextual and include acontext in the previous or next lines. Nut it happens all times when I work on delimited datafiles (notably those that come from database exports and that will beimported into another system).

    These plain text files can be very huge, and having to write a special program to filter them is a constant nightmare, notably when such edits is to be performed only once (and its cost with manual edit is too large, and very boring or errorprone to do manually).