Re: Myanmar Innwa encoding questions

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 13:57:50 CST

    Mike Ayers wrote:

    > Mark Leisher wrote:
    >
    >> 1. One glyph provided in these fonts (at position 0x40) looks like
    >> U+100F with a rotated and subscripted U+100D. Is U+100F U+1039 U+100D
    >> the proper sequence to produce this glyph?
    >
    > Are you referring to the attached image?

    Yes.

    >> 2. Old versions of the Win-Innwa font contain precomposed glyphs for
    >> the fractions 1/2, 4/5, 1/4, 3/4, 1/3, 2/3, 2/5, 1/5. None of the more
    >> recent fonts using the same encoding have these glyphs. Does anyone
    >> know if these fraction glyphs are actually used?
    >
    > Are you asking if Burmese people use fractions?

    No. I was indirectly asking if there is any reason to support conversion
    of these pre-composed fractions (Myanmar digits) to Unicode.

    I have a feeling that these particular glyphs are not being used any
    more, but it wouldn't be the first time I ran into the need for an
    ancient variation of some encoding.

    Can't hurt to throw them in. Since the last message I have determined
    that they don't conflict with any other font I can find that uses the
    same basic arrangement found in Win-Innwa.

    Mark Leisher
    Computing Research Lab              They never open their mouths
    New Mexico State University         without subtracting from the
    Box 30001, MSC 3CRL                 sum of human knowledge.
    Las Cruces, NM  88003                 -- Thomas Bracket Reed (1839-1902)