Re: Win IE 7b2 and UTF-8

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 09:16:41 CDT

    Keutgen, Walter <walter dot keutgen at be dot unisys dot com> wrote:

    > In this case clearly the server owners, authoring tool providers and
    > authors are to blame. Is it really so difficult to comply with the
    > HTML standard and tag correctly?

    I agree completely. W3C offers a free on-line validator that makes it
    easy for anyone to check their HTML and CSS for a variety of problems,
    including bad UTF-8. Third-party tools are also available.

    Despite this, there is still a lot of bad HTML out there, and end users
    who see the browser but don't see (or understand) the source HTML, or
    understand the server's role, may be predisposed to blame Microsoft for
    any rendering problems -- after all, it seems to be fun and popular to
    do so.

    On no account am I suggesting that it is OK in the general case to
    produce and interpret this mutant UTF-8. I'm sorry if I gave that
    impression. My comment were meant to be limited to the browser viewing
    environment. I do understand the auto-detection problem.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA