Re: CLDR

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 15:15:00 CDT

    Asmus Freytag wrote on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 2:57 PM
    Subject: Re: CLDR

    >>> Whether the union of Exemplar & auxiliary exemplar character set should
    >>> contain all the possible characters used in the particular language?

    >That's been my feeling as well, but every time I mention this to people who
    >are at the core of the CLDR activity they assure me that there are such
    >criteria (including a clear specification of the intended use). If that's
    >the case, can anyone give a URL to them?

    The 'summary' at http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data_formats.html#Exemplar is
    not completely covered by the text at
    http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/#>. There's a lot of
    highlighting, so I think the definition is experimental. Pointing out that
    CGJ should be added to several auxiliary sets was not welcomed.

    I must admit I can't see a good example use. For the choice of encoding,
    there is actually the mapping element, though I haven't found any examples
    of it yet. Mind you, for languages without spaces, I suspect Unicode is the
    only encoding covering all these characters! I thought I saw mention of
    keyboard mapping somewhere, but I couldn't find it at either of these
    locations.

    Richard.