Re: apostrophes

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2006 - 14:16:45 CDT

    Steve Summit wrote on Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 4:58 PM

    > Funny you should mention that -- just yesterday I was realizing
    > that having distinct code points for "full stop" versus "decimal
    > point",

    e.g. U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT?

    > and "comma" versus "thousands separator", would be quite
    > useful, especially when doing on-the-fly conversion of text to
    > properly locale-representative forms.

    I'm not sure of your context. Would U+066B ARABIC DECIMAL SEPARATOR and
    U+066C ARABIC THOUSANDS SEPARATOR suit you?

    >> Making distinctions on purely semantic grounds, for a character
    >> that is commonly understood as one character with multiple uses,
    >> would apparently have opened a can of worms.
    >
    > We've got
    > U+00B5 Micro Sign distinct from U+03BC Greek Small Letter Mu,
    > although of course that one was forced on us by ISO 8859-1.

    I'm not sure I see how.

    The present justification is that U+00B5 does not belong to any script,
    whereas U+03BC is in the Greek script.

    Richard.