Re: apostrophes

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 09:11:52 CDT

    Hello,

    Jukka K. Korpela schrieb:
    > I don't think traditional or modern typography ever
    > distinguises between a punctuation apostrophe and a right single
    > quotation mark

    This is only in a particular language, viz. English.

    In German, e. g., traditional typography indeed draws this
    distinction: the single quotation marks are U+201A and U+2018,
    whilst the apostrophe is U+2019. I have found the same distinction
    made in a book on Polish typography, and I have seen it applied
    in Czech books.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz