Re: apostrophes

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 03:27:02 CDT

    At 01:17 +0300 2006-05-24, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >I have never seen any norm or recommendation on it for any language.

    It's commonly discussed in English-language style manuals. I have a
    French and Swedis manual around here somewhere; I'd be surprised if
    it weren't mentioned.

    >Even for _simple_ nesting, i.e. for a quotation inside a quotation,
    >reliable information is hard to find, partly because it is a rare
    >situation. (If you have a quotation inside a quotation, the outer
    >quotation is typically so long that it's better presented as a block
    >quotation, without any quotation marks, using e.g. indentation to
    >indicate it as quoted text.)

    This practice is extremely common. In English at least, any novel
    where one character is speaking and telling a story where other
    people are speaking will use nesting as a matter of course.