Re: apostrophes

From: Asmus Freytag (
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 10:58:57 CDT

    On 5/24/2006 2:37 AM, Otto Stolz wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> I have never seen any norm or recommendation on it for any language.
    > For German, it is in 95 of the official orthographic rules,
    > <>.
    > I am not sure whether I have said this already on the list,
    > or only privately; so here it is again. Sorry, if you have
    > read it twice.
    Even reading it twice, it doesn't cover book usage. Publishers in German
    have been using both the double quotation marks as stated in the official
    norm, as well as the >>guillemets<< (inward pointing, no space).

    [I double checked this with two random books on my bookshelf - the
    first had the 'official' style, the second use the guillemets.]

    The myopic nature of official regulations like these (and the situation
    is not
    limited to Germany) is one of the reasons that CLDR is so necessary:
    Only a collective research project focused on actually observed usage
    can succeed in mapping the use of these characters.