Re: On stability policies

From: Andrew Lipscomb (ewwa@chattanooga.net)
Date: Thu May 25 2006 - 13:42:09 CDT

    > On 5/24/2006 7:43 PM, J Andrew Lipscomb wrote:
    >> There's a difference. Unicode itself has stability policies (the
    >> wisdom of which I state no opinion on, but that ship has
    >> sailed). The
    >> CLDR, a more recent import into the Unicode Consortium's
    >> operations,
    >> is another matter, and does not have stability policies.
    >>

    > The difference is that the Unicode Standard is about the
    > representation
    > of textual data. Once encoded, the interpretation of such data
    > must
    > remain stable - otherwise we will be cut off from our history.
    >
    > CLDR is about cataloging conventions. Conventions are living
    > constructs
    > and subject to change. If it is deemed useful at some point to
    > explicitly preserve 'historical' conventions, a mechanism could be
    > invented in CLDR to preserve previous, but now outdated
    > conventions. In
    > such a case, I would not be surprised to see guarantees preventing
    > the
    > change of such 'frozen' conventions.
    >
    > However, that's not the current model for the CLDR.

    Thanks for filling in that background for me. Although I don't see
    why it is important to preserve the history of brakcets ::) (that
    particular issue being of more technical than theoretical import,
    I understand).

    And I can actually think of cases where CLDR data would be based
    on historical conventions--namely, the pre-euro versions of the
    EMU locales. But that would still apply only to the currency
    formatting there, not to the rest of the data.