Re: UTF-7 - is it dead?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 22:16:36 CDT

    Markus Scherer +ADw-markus dot icu at gmail dot com+AD4- wrote:

    +AD4APg- ... you have to read it using a browser that supports UTF-7+ACE- Firefox
    +AD4APg- supports it but IE 6.0 does not.
    +AD4-
    +AD4- Yes it does, I just tried it. I copied +ACY- saved the sample text from
    +AD4- appendix A from RFC 2152 as a .txt file and viewed it with IE 6, Opera
    +AD4- 8.54, and Firefox 1.5. With IE, I selected View/Encoding/Auto-Select.
    +AD4- With the others, I chose UTF-7 explicitly.

    Most of the time, when people say IE doesn't support UTF-7, they mean
    you can't choose it explicitly as an override, which is true and
    puzzling. UTF-7 text is not hard to misdetect. (I've intentionally
    chosen UTF-7 as the encoding for this message+ADs- let's see if anyone
    reports problems reading it.)

    I note that IE 7.0 beta 2 still doesn't offer UTF-7 as an explicit
    option.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA