Re: triple diacritic (sch with ligature tie in a German dialect writing document)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2006 - 22:04:29 CDT

    From: "Richard Wordingham" <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
    > We've now seen the Greek examples. In general, I would expect it to have
    > the same behaviour as *COMBINING TRIPLE INVERTED BREVE ABOVE. I've found an
    > example of that used to illustrate French liaison (in Bodmer's 'Loom of
    > Language'). Delimiting the letters associated by the 'inverted breve' with
    > '(...)', we have examples such as:
    >
    > o(n e)(n a) pour so(n a)rgent.
    > le(s e)nfants

    I don't call this usage a diacritic, but an interlinear annotation for noting additional phonetic liaisons; the sentence and the orthography is not modified. So this should be encoded out of the main text stream, using some rich-text protocol...

    Well, if you really need to mark those liaisons, encode it over the space separator only, because that's all what is really modified:

    on⁀en⁀a pour son⁀argent.
    les⁀enfants

    (I used U+2040 here, which is not a combining character, but a punctuation mark replacing the space)