Re: are Unicode codes somehow specified in official national linguistic literature ? (worldwide)

From: Cristian Secară (orice@secarica.ro)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 05:55:38 CDT

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:35:46 +0300, Erkki Kolehmainen wrote:

    > [...] ignoring the opportunities provided by CLDR is a major
    > disservice to your user community, nominally justified only by some
    > unjustifiable formality.

    Until now (i.e. since I first learned about the CLDR project, that is
    less than a month ago) I was never able to look at that data in a
    human readable form. I simply don't know _how_.
    Visually filtering the data trough .xml tags is extremely annoying and
    time consuming and I have no time for such a method.

    So how can I even know if the data that I can help for is correct or
    not ? I mean the _whole_ data for my cultural region, not only erratic
    things, like the [wrong] quotation mark or something else.

    Sidenote: these days I am working at a technical implementation of a
    "fresh" law here in Romania. I have to make reference to the Romani
    alphabet (gypsy), Latin variant, used on the Romanian territory.
    Can CLDR be of some help for me ? Until now, the only way I have
    imagined (and tried, with relative success) is to visit the Romani
    language university and obtain some sort of official reference for
    this. This means to get copies of existing printed documents and make
    visual Unicode associations, hoping to match correctly the physical
    printed glyphs with the UCS descriptions.

    Cristi

    --
    Cristian Secară
    http://www.secarica.ro/