Re: Glyphs for German quotation marks

From: Andreas Prilop (nhtcapri@rrzn-user.uni-hannover.de)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 03:56:27 CDT

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, John Hudson wrote:

    >> http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/quotes.gif
    >
    > In this illustration, what you identify as 'possible for English'
    > isn't really possible in this style of typeface. That is,
    > this form of opening quote is not acceptable in this style.

    Actually, I have seen such quotation marks in English-language
    books printed in Britain and the USA.
    But, as I wrote, they are certainly not preferred. *If* you
    want such quotation marks, then please use U+201B for them!

    > I leave it to others to debate whether these mirrored forms
    > in particular styles of type are acceptable or not for German.
    > My point is that they are not 'wrong' in the general context
    > of type design and are particular to certain type styles.

    They are complety wrong! I am sorry to say this: But you have
    no idea of German quotation marks!