Surrogate pairs and UTF-8

From: Pavils Jurjans (passiday@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 03:05:42 CDT

    Hello all,

    I am a developer who needs to write UTF-8 encoder and decoder in JavaScript.
    I've found the encoding form in the link
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch03.pdf#G31703
    , and that is pretty much what I need to do the job. However, I am
    completely lacking in-depth information about the surrogate pairs and how to
    handle them in UTF-8. So, here are the questions, what I am looking for:
    - I have read the theoretical definition of what a surrogate pair is.
    However, I have never seen any in "life". Can you give an example of some
    surrogate pairs, and how do their respective character look like?
    - The guides on unicode.org site talk only about surrogate pair and
    UTF-16 conversion. How about the UTF-8?

    Thank you for any clues.

    With kind regards,
    Pavils Jurjans