Indic grapheme clusters

From: Richard Ishida (ishida@w3.org)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 07:31:38 CDT

    I've been trying to find out whether a simple indic conjunct such as

    0915: क DEVANAGARI LETTER KA
    094D: ् DEVANAGARI SIGN VIRAMA
    0915: क DEVANAGARI LETTER KA
    093E: ा DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN AA

    is a single "default grapheme cluster" or not.

    I've seen text that says that it is, but I'm really struggling to figure out how the standard tells you that. I've looked at http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/#Grapheme_Cluster_Boundaries and the http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/auxiliary/GraphemeBreakProperty.txt file. I can't even find explanations of the format of the GraphemeBreakProperty.txt file.

    Can someone help?

    RI
    Richard Ishida
    Internationalization Lead