Re: Draft 2 of the proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK INDICATOR symbol in the BMP

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 12:13:19 CDT

    > After incorporating some hints from the discussion, now the second
    > draft of my proposal to encode an EXTERNAL LINK INDICATOR symbol
    > is found at:
    > http://www.europatastatur.de/material/ExternalLinkProposalDraft2.pdf

    Another thing to ask:

    Is this proposed entity for encoding more like:

    U+21B5 DOWNWARDS ARROW WITH CORNER LEFTWARDS

       which is a generic arrow symbol of a particular shape, but which
       also looks like what is commonly printed on Return keys
       and can quite profitably be used to represent either that
       key or that concept in text, or

    U+23CE RETURN SYMBOL

       which is encoded for compatibility with the JIS X-0213 standard,
       and which is given a more explicit shape, to ensure likelihood
       of better compatibility when used to represent the JIS character,
       and which is intended specifically as a symbol for the key
       or concept of a carriage return, as opposed to a generic arrow, or

    U+2386 ENTER SYMBOL

       which is encoded for compatibility with the ISO 9995-7 standard,
       and which is given an exact shape, standing as a character
       representing the icon encoded in ISO 9995-7, intended
       specifically as a keyboard symbol [note this is also a graphic
       design involving an arror pointing -- in this case *in*to --
       an open, four-sided geometric shape], or

    U+240E SYMBOL FOR CARRIAGE RETURN

       which is one of a set of such symbols for control functions,
       and whose associated glyph is utterly arbitrary, representing
       one of many possible choices that applications may make to
       visualize control functions, or

    U+000D CARRIAGE RETURN

       which is the *actual* control function, and which has no
       visible display unless forced to display by special
       rendering choices.

    --Ken