Re: [indic] Re: TalakaTTu diacritic comparison (Re: Telugu 18 letters [N3116(L2-06/250)] - Comments)

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 07:38:25 CDT

    On 7/30/06, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14@comhem.se> wrote:
    > > TeluguTeX, 1991:
    > > http://groups.google.com/group/CTamil/msg/7bbcc29f8a5f33bd
    >
    > Hmm,
    >
    > * Ardhavisarga is combining in TeluguTeX and the glyph in TeluguTeX
    > vs. the glyph in 06250-n3116-telugu.pdf are quite different.

    Visarga is combining, so also, ideally, "half"-visarga (ardha-visarga) too.
    But Kannada 1/2-visarga is recently encoded as non-combining,
    so I guess that's followed in Telugu 1/2-visarga too.

    These letters are so rare in usage, I guess combining or noncombining is ok.

    > * TeluguTeX has nakarapollu and valapalagilaka that are missing
    > both in Unicode and in 06250-n3116-telugu.pdf.

    Nakarapollu "virama on n" and Valapala-gilaka "rattle on the right side"
    are usually combining, and cannot occur word-initially.
    Like the combining nakarapollu and valapalagilaka in TeluguTeX,
    they are available as combining in Kannada script as well.

    For Kannada nakarapollu and valapalagilaka, see page 2 of
    http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Kannada.pdf

    Kannada file can be added with commonly used conjuncts.
    Telugu script pdf does not exist yet. May be Nagarjuna and Suresh
    can create a file and it will be useful with a set of commonly used conjuncts.

    Many Indic scripts have commonly used conjuncts. For example:
    Bengali script:
    http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Bengali-Assamese-Manipuri.pdf
    (Currency numerators need to be encoded)
    Oriya script:
    http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Oriya.pdf
    Devanagari script:
    http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Hindi-Marathi-Nepali.pdf
    Malayalam script:
    http://transliteration.eki.ee/pdf/Malayalam.pdf
    (The letter NNNA needs to be encoded here, I've some samples).

    It will be great if Kannada and Telugu experts here
    can give us a list and glyphs of commonly used conjuncts.
    We can get it in Dr. Thomas Pedersen's site also.

    N. Ganesan