Re: Reality check - non-Unicode in Guinea-GTZ documents 2005

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 01:11:23 CDT

    Daniel Yacob <unicode at geez dot org> wrote:

    > I certainly concur with the points you've raised, to put it mildly.
    > Over the years I've ended up with the perspective that a campaign on
    > the scale of something like Polio erradication is what it is needed to
    > make the world wide transition to unicode. Ultimately it happens one
    > computer at a time, and one office at a time.

    Sometimes it's one application (or suite) at a time, or one platform at
    a time. Programs written for the Microsoft .NET platform support
    Unicode by default, regardless of platform. Reading or writing text in
    a legacy code page is a significant extra effort.

    Sometimes it's one technology at a time: XML is Unicode unless one goes
    out of one's way to avoid it.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA