Re: Reality check - non-Unicode in Guinea-GTZ documents 2005

From: JFC Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 15:42:16 CDT

    Mark,
    I agree with most of what you say. Just a general comment: there are
    only a few people interested in Unicode as such. Most are interested
    in solving a problem they have, that in turn needs ISO 10646 and can
    be helped by Unicode propositions. So, the real priority would be to
    locate Unicode within a generalised and logical model of the digital
    support of languages. I accept that Unicode (as a consortium) tries
    to do that with CLDR, RFC 3066 Bis, ISO 639, etc.

    But it should transparently explained. Globalization is only a layer
    towards multilingualisation (and Unicode a globalization layer
    current leading proposition). Unicode is only involved in the written
    computed mode (what does not make the whole support of a language).

    On 18:20 18/08/2006, Mark Davis said:
    >For those who read French, there is also the excellent recent book:
    >Passeport pour Unicode by Bernard Desgraupes.
    >
    >But for the issue that started off this thread -- the GTZ not using
    >Unicode -- I don't think any of these books were really applicable.
    >What is needed is a guide for "development agencies", which would be
    >really more of a short white paper outlining the issues at a very
    >high level. It'd be great if one of the people on this thread
    >stepped up to the plate, and submitted a technical note on the
    >topic. ( <http://www.unicode.org/notes/>http://www.unicode.org/notes/).

    +1
    jfc