Subj: MS outlook encoding & YahooGroups

From: Magda Danish \(Unicode\) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 14:27:14 CDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: gultekin orhon [mailto:gultekino@isbank.net.tr]
    Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:50 AM
    To: Magda Danish (Unicode)
    Cc: magda@unicode.org
    Subject: RE: Subj: Turkish Translation - Suggestions

    Dear Magda,

    Thank you for your reply.
    [....]

    A. I use Microsoft Outlook - 2000. In the view button, I go to encoding - there is an alternative for "automatic"
    and down below are a few more coding alternatives.

    It is possible to choose non-automatic and one coding language (mine is UTF-8). This is straightforward.

    It is also possible to choose "automatic" and a language.
    What overrides in this case?

    Could this setup have a specific purpose, or could it just be an oversight?

    B. The basic reason for my interest and inquiry is YahooGroups. YahooGroups is very popular in Turkey, and very bad with encoding. I would say 30% of the mails within the country need to be "encoded" to be legible.

    I am trying to see what can be done to minimize this nuisance. UTF-8 seems like the solution in the long run.
    Any comments or a contact from Yahoo?
    Thanks and regards again.

    Gultekin Orhon
    MS Civil Engineer, MBA - Boston University