Re: FW: Technology leads to cool fonts in Native language

From: Chris Harvey (chris@languagegeek.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 13:53:01 CDT

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:38:42 -0400, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>
    wrote:

    >> • The Kutenai in Canada already use a QWERTY based layout for their
    >> language.
    >
    > Note however that the layout shown is on screen only;

    They keyboard layout graphic is a screenshot from Ukulele, a Mac keyboard
    layout builder. The screen shot shows what the actual keyboard layout will
    be.

    Regarding your previous message, I don't think its appropriate to compare
    the position of the ‘a’ key on the AZERTY keyboard (left pinky-finger, one
    row up) with the ‘a’ on this Salish keyboard (left pinky-finger two rows
    up, one row left) — the US keyboard Grave key.

    > enough, and that combinations of keystrokes are appropriate and avoided
    > as much as possible for the actual language;

    What’s wrong with combinations of keystrokes? Welsh doesn’t need a ‘rh’
    key, nor does Croatian need a ‘nj’ key, and Vietnamese certainly doesn't
    need a ệ key.

    As this is probably getting off topic for the Unicode list, I’m going to
    let my opinion rest.

    Chris

    --
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon
    ᑭᑕᐢᑭᓇᐤ ᑳᓀᓱᐏᑌᐦᐃᓇᑿᐣ, ᑮᐢᐱᐣ ᐊᔨᐣᑐ ᐱᑭᐢᑵᐏᐣ ᐘᓂᑎᔭᐦᑭ᙮