Re: Unicode & space in programming & l10n

From: Steve Summit (scs@eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 19:16:24 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > C/C++ datatypes were based on the pysical host architecture and not
    > on the effective data model that people want when developing portable
    > applications; this is the major cause of the complexity of porting
    > C/C++ applications across platforms, and even the most "portable"
    > libaries are in fact "ported" by adding lots of modifications and
    > conditional macros that are alien to the effective semantics of
    > the language.

    This is not the place to launch into a long defense of C, and
    since none of the points Philippe raised are particularly germane
    to Unicode programming I'm not going to debate any of them here.
    Suffice it to say that there are respectable opposing viewpoints
    for most of his characterizations. I've listed some at
    http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/cport.html for the truly curious.