Re: Request for help in reading Uighur script on coin

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 11:45:21 CST

    Behnam wrote,

    >Their leaders adopted Islam shortly after invading Muslim
    >territories. That doesn't speak for their people though, but it may
    >explain the coin.

    It's too bad that none of our Mongolian experts have offered a
    translation or transliteration of the Mongolian script on that coin.

    If the coin is simply bilingual, then the Mongolian inscription would
    be the same as the Arabic. But, I tried an input of "Allah" and
    "Mohammad" in the Mongolian script using the BabelPad editor,
    and I can't really see anything similar in the Mongolian text on
    the coin. Of course, that's hardly conclusive...

    Best regards,

    James Kass