Re: extracting code values from PDF?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2006 - 10:25:03 CST

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > Anyway, it would have been better to use Ctrl+U for this conversion
    > shortcut in Office (but in English Word, this is a shortcut for
    > applying/removing the underlining style on the selected text).
    >
    > This is not a standard input feature of Windows, but an
    > application-specific mapping to a function; All such application
    > mappings should be localizable; normally, sequences like
    > Alt+letter/digit or Ctrl+letter/digit are left free in all keyboard
    > drivers. (remember that Ctrl+Alt+letter/digit should behave the same
    > as AltGr+letter/digit in almost all keyboard drivers, except a few
    > ones like the default US English keymap, which does not have the Alt
    > vs. AltGr distinction but offers two equivalent Alt keys).

    What the world really needs is a standardized, dedicated,
    platform-independent "U+" key that will allow entry of any Unicode
    character. If we can have special Apple keys and Windows keys and Menu
    keys, we ought to be able to have this one.

    I know there is standardization work going on to establish a convention
    that uses the existing keys, but existing operating systems and
    applications already use the existing keys, in almost every imaginable
    combination.

    (And yes, I know about the hex-entry problem on non-Latin keyboards.
    Let's solve one problem at a time.)

    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/