Re: Double comma

From: Guy Steele (Guy.Steele@Sun.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2006 - 16:51:59 CST

  • Next message: Michael Everson: "Re: Fwd: Creative commons' license symbols"

    On Nov 22, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 20:56 +0000 2006-11-22, António Martins-Tuválkin wrote:
    >> At < > a particularly
    >> astute
    >> Russian designer proposes, in a very tongue-in-cheek manner, the new
    >> punctuation character "double comma": Akin to a colon or semi-colon,
    >> but with a comma shape in both positions.
    > Surely the SEMICOMMA.

    Surely not; a semicomma should be half a comma.
    Just as a comma is a slight pause, and so in some sense "half a full
    so a semicolon is half a colon. Perhaps the double comma
    should be called a hemisemicolon. While we are at it,
    three dots stacked vertically should be called a sesquicolon,
    and two dots stacked above a comma would be a semisesquicolon
    or waltz-time colon.

    --Guy Steele

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Wed Nov 22 2006 - 16:55:16 CST