RE: Normalization in Bengali

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 00:58:52 CST

    Michael Maxwell wrote,

    > OK, so let me return to my original question, slightly rephrased: what order
    > of <DependentVowel><Chandrabindru> should text be using? My intuition
    > tells me that it should be the Vowel-CAN order, not *CAN-Vowel.

    Your intuition is correct.

    p. 227 of The Unicode Standard 4.0

    "R10 The other modifying marks, bindus and svaras, apply to the orthographic
    syllable as a whole and should follow (in the memory representation) all other
    characters that constitute the syllable. In particular, the bindus should follow
    any vowel signs, and the svaras should come last. ..."

    (Even though this is quoted from the Devanagari section, it applies
    to Indic scripts in general, too.)

    Best regards,

    James Kass