Re: Fwd: Creative commons' license symbols

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 13:15:39 CST

    Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab dot unc dot edu> wrote:

    > The creative commons symbols are not as widely used yet, but if they
    > are or do become widely used, then I think they should be encoded on
    > the same grounds the copyright sign is encoded.

    That's the big "if." There aren't many symbols similar to the copyright
    sign that are as widely used. If the CC symbols should take hold and
    enter truly widespread use, not just among advocates of whatever
    intellectual-property model they represent but among the general public,
    then they should be encoded.

    The problem comes when advocates insist that the new characters be
    encoded before they have achieved that status, because they are "about
    to" be widely used or represent some new and better world order that UTC
    is suppressing or denying by not encoding them. There's a reason why
    newly created "symbol" characters are generally not encoded before they
    have achieved wide usage. The Euro sign is sometimes cited as a
    counterexample, but in that singular case there was no possible doubt
    that the character would be very widely used in the very near future
    (and this has since been borne out).

    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/