RE: 2007 - Year of Unicode in Africa?

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Sun Dec 24 2006 - 11:00:11 CST

    A quick follow up - this suggestion could be misread as yet another
    implication that Africans are ignorant, which is not my thinking. Or more
    accurately one could say that Unicode in ICT is an area of ignorance that
    relates to an area of strength. Africa, in particular most of the continent
    south of the Sahara but indeed the whole continent, is a region of many
    languages and widespread multilingualism. Unicode should make it easier to
    do computing and internet in any and all of those languages.

    Year of Unicode in the US, for instance, might also be apropos, but then
    again a bigger issue there is probably ignorance of any language other than
    English...

    Don