Re: Strange Browser Behavior

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 12:09:00 CST

Note that � is not a valid numeric character entity, so the HTML document is not valid and the substitution the browser performs for the invalid entity is browser-specific: it may be a single question mark, a single substitution character, or the unconverted string itself, or the whole document may be marked as invalid.

There's nothing in the standard HTML (or XML or SGML) to describe what to do in case of invalid documents. But the error should be signaled in some way to the user.