Re: Public Review Issue Update: #100, "Giving U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT the ID_Continue Property"

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 20:33:42 CST

Philippe said:

> So I've seen quite frequent occurences of such use of middle dots in
> Latin transcriptions of Minnan, notably after a base letter "O" or "o"
> (which may also have other diacritics on the letter: a

I claimed that for a long time (and historically, I think I
am correct), but a separate *combining* character has
been encoded for this entity in Latin transcriptions of
Minnan, and is claimed by the stakeholders in those
transcriptions to be correct (current) usage:

U+0358 COMBINING DOT ABOVE RIGHT

> Are there other languages?

There are many, many orthographies of languages, particularly
in the Americas, which make used of a raised dot (= U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT)
to indicate distinctive length (usually for vowels, but
occasionally for consonants as well). So MIDDLE DOT is
an issue for many orthographies besides the one for Catalan.

However, the particular concern for Catalan arises because of
the *canonical* equivalence involving MIDDLE DOT for the
characters U+013F LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH MIDDLE DOT
and U+0140 LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH MIDDLE DOT.

--Ken