RE: universal code and national code

From: Jony Rosenne (jr@qsm.co.il)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 04:58:28 CST

    In general, one must assume that the legacy encodings will be with us
    forever.

    No one has the resources or justification to convert the vast amounts of
    legacy data that exist all over the globe.

    We should concentrate on minimizing the amount of new data in legacy codes,
    but this also can only be a slow process, basically when old systems are
    replaced by new ones. I do not expect Fortran and Cobol to support Unicode,
    and 8 bit operating systems are still common.

    On the other hand, modern software environments support interoperability
    with legacy encodings thus reducing the difficulty.

    Jony