Re: Proposing UTF-21/24

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 11:42:02 CST

    I hesitate to question you, Addison Phillips, much less disagree with
    you (because you generally speak sense), but the same kind of survey
    measurements taken in the earliest years of Web activity would
    probably yield closer to 100% ASCII, which would have been gravely
    wrong and very misleading in real terms (that is, in terms of real
    needs of real users), so it would be, IMHO, better to ignore such
    statistics and always return, as a rule of thumb, to user needs (as
    distinct to user practice, which, in my experience, can often be no
    more than a reflection of colonial imposition, as a culture strives
    to survive against all the odds).
    mg

    On 23 Jan 2007, at 17:11, scríobh Addison Phillips:

    > even if we all switched to using a mix of cuneiform and Bliss
    > symbols tomorrow. For example, some measurements of the Web show
    > that fully 50% of the text consists of (ASCII) markup.

    - -
    Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
    27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an
    Bhóthair, Co. Átha Cliath, Éire.