Re: writing Chinese dialects

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 21:37:34 CST

    There is a mainland list that has been drawn up of characters used in
    Chinese dialects, specifically for the purpose of making a proposal to
    ISO the IRG. The list itself is said to be complete -- however the IRG
    requires more than just a list, so much work still needs to be done.

    There also existing a series of over 30 dialect dictionaries (the
    xiandai hanyu fangyan dacidian), however these may well not include
    any new characters. The Pinghua dictionary for example just includes
    the pronunciation for the many words they don't print a character for.

    Quoting "John H. Jenkins" <jenkins@apple.com>:

    >> My impression is that Cantonese is in a better position here than
    >> most other dialects--that is, that there are dialect-specific
    >> characters used in writing other dialects, but that the usage is
    >> usually not as widespread or consistent as with Cantonese. Are
    >> these being gathered as well?
    >
    > Nobody has contacted Unicode with offers to do the gathering for us,
    > and we don't have the resources (i.e., authoritative print sources and
    > time and/or money) to do it ourselves. The only issues involved are
    > practical.
    >

    > ========
    > John H. Jenkins
    > jenkins@apple.com
    > jhjenkins@mac.com
    > http://homepage.mac.com/jhjenkins/

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net