Re: ZWJ, ZWNJ and VS in Latin and other Greek-derived scripts

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 23:33:09 CST

    On Jan 25, 2007, at 8:22 PM, John Hudson wrote:

    > The sad fact is that there is no standard layout model for fraktur,
    > nothing to say how a fraktur font should operate or how application
    > of layout features in fraktur fonts should be handled. There isn't
    > even any way to signal to an application or layout engine that a
    > given font is fraktur.

    I think this is the key point. The actual computerized representation
    of older Latin texts (blackletter or not) and older Greek texts and so
    on is not as well understood as we would like.

    I will, however, stick to my guns on this point. Mandating ligation
    through ZWJ is not a good thing for Latin typography. Perhaps I
    should say "modern Latin typography." But I really do not believe
    that the typographic richness of, say, the Gutenberg Bible should be
    capturable in *plain text*.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com