Re: ZWJ, ZWNJ and VS in Latin and other Greek-derived scripts

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 17:07:12 CST

    John Hudson wrote on Friday, February 02, 2007 6:07 AM

    +AD4- Richard Wordingham wrote:

    +AD4APg- Aside: Dare I ask which variants of Latin used in England eschew
    +AD4APg- ligation? I don't recall ligation in the Latin textbooks we used at
    +AD4APg- school.

    +AD4- Ligation of ae and oe in Latin used to be the norm, derived from mediaeval
    +AD4- practice... The exception is Roman Catholic ecclesiastical publishing,
    +AD4- where the mediaeval convention has never been abandoned.

    Thanks. I was actually wondering how one should tag them, following through
    Ruszlan's suggestion that English words ligating 'ae' and 'oe' should be
    tagged as Latin or French. But if 'la-GB' forces ligation by default, what
    was I using in school? Are the words borrowed into English to be marked as
    'la-VA' leaving 'la-GB' for unligated text in the modern style? That could
    raise hackles that go all the way back to the Statute of Pra+IA0-emunire+ACE-

    Does such marking as this actually have much chance of achieving the desired
    effect?

    Richard.