Re: New translation posted

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 08:35:32 CST

    On 3 Feb 2007, at 09:06, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >> Also I would suggest replacing every vertical apostrophe-quote by
    >> an oblique apostrophe (high comma, which should show as a wedge
    >> glyph in sans-serif fonts, or as a 9-shaped glyph in serif fonts),
    >
    > I think you mean that U+0027 APOSTROPHE ("Ascii apostrophe") should
    > be replaced by U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK ("typographer's
    > apostrophe"). Yes, it should. U+0027 is not a correct apostrophe in
    > any human language that I heard of, t

    Aren't you lead stray by the poor renderings usually given to U+0027?
    As it is semantically an apostrophe, it should be used when an
    apostrophe is called for; not U+2019, as it should be used in
    quotations. But U+0027 should be given, better, apostrophe looking
    renderings. If this task, getting better fonts, seems hopeless,
    perhaps a new apostrophe character should be added.

       Hans Aberg