Re: New translation posted

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 20:37:21 CST

    On 2/3/2007 5:28 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > From: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
    >
    >>> it should be used when an apostrophe is called for; not U+2019
    >>>
    >> No, the Unicode standard clearly says that U+2019 is preferred as
    >> punctuation apostrophe. The character U+0027 should have a neutral
    >> (vertical) glyph, and usually has, though in some fonts it's slighly
    >> slanted.

    The ASCII set represents the typewriter keys, so it's essentially an
    input set. Unicode represents what gets actually written or printed.
    But, like printed material, if there's customarily a single shape for
    two uses of a letter or mark, it's the reader who has to decide what is
    meant from context.

    > But why then all French spelling autocorrectors are changing the weak ASCII vertical quote into a curly apostrophe? This is correct in French, simply because U+2019 is not used as a normal French punctuation (we only use high curly double quotes (turned 180 degrees, but not mirrored), and chevrons guillemots for quotation marks, so U+2019 is unambiguously a linguistic and orthographic apostrophe)

    Which is fine. Many letters are used to transcribe more than one one
    sound in one language while in another language there may be a fixed
    relation with a single sound. Still, it's the same character in both cases.

    > So I'd say that U+2019 is also a neutral glyph, like U+0027 is, the difference being in its prefered slanted or 9-shaped or comma-shaped glyph instead of a vertical glyph.

    There's an obvious difference between a character with multiple meanings
    and a 'neutral glyph'. The latter usually means a compromise shape.

    A./