Re: "Universal Character Set"

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 15:27:31 CST

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Don Osborn wrote:

    > Does anyone currently use the term "Universal Character Set" (UCS) to refer
    > to Unicode/ISO-10646? I guess it is technically correct, but I rarely see
    > it. It seems that folks generally use "Unicode" as the catch-all term, or
    > maybe I'm missing a wider use of UCS?

    I have seen the abbreviation "UCS" used mostly in official standardization
    contexts. ISO and its members refer primarily to their own standards, and
    since "ISO 10646" is an inconvenient expression, "UCS" is a relatively
    practical phrase. To the general public, the name "Unicode" is of course
    much more widely known.