Re: "Universal Character Set"

From: Jon Hanna (
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 16:22:57 CST

  • Next message: Mark Davis: "Re: "Universal Character Set""

    Don Osborn wrote:
    > Does anyone currently use the term “Universal Character Set” (UCS) to
    > refer to Unicode/ISO-10646?

    I use it to refer to the universal character set defined and used by
    Unicode and ISO 10646.

    > I guess it is technically correct, but I
    > rarely see it. It seems that folks generally use “Unicode” as the
    > catch-all term, or maybe I’m missing a wider use of UCS?

    I use "Unicode" to refer to the UCS or to some other individual aspect
    of Unicode when I my primary purpose in talking about technical matters
    is not to communicate the technical message that I'm literally saying
    but to communicate "here are some magic words that mean you should hire us".

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sat Feb 17 2007 - 16:25:13 CST