Re: Subj: MySQL and Unicode support

From: Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 09:51:46 CST

    With MySQL, as with other software, there are large differences
    between major versions. As Henrik correctly notes, MySQL 5x has good
    support for Unicode, charsets, sorting and collation.

    Many places might however still be using MySQL 4x. Before MySQL 5x
    was available, I wrote LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) applications
    (with MySQL 4.x) which used UTF-8 without any problem.

    MySQL 4.x and older PHP's lack of Unicode support did not "hinder" me
    at all --but at the same time you can say that it did not "help" me
    either. I just had to write *more* code than might be required today
    in order to support, for example, the kind of collation that I wanted
    to do.