RE: Characters consisting of vertical lines; Possible attempts to encode tally marks

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 12:56:39 CST

    Jon Hanna wrote:
    > Agreed (though its option g). I'm not seeing how tallies work
    > in static
    > text other than as glyph variants for U+0031 through U+0035

    One thing is absolutely certain here: Tally marks are definitely
    NOT glyph variants of 1-5. They have the values 1-5, but that is
    something entirely different.

    I think tally marks are just as justified (or justifiable) as
    card faces, dice faces, chess symbols, domino faces, and the
    like. Or actually, more justifiable, since tally marks are
    regularly written (it does not matter that it is by hand,
    usually), which the above listed symbols rarely are.

    I, for one, would argue that the tally mark characters all
    should have the same advance width, as in handwriting one
    would not start a tally (of value 1) unless there is space
    for a full tally (of value 5) to the right of the begun tally.
    So in ASCII, fixed width font, the first four tally marks could
    be *approximated* by "| ", "|| ", "||| ", "||||".

                    /kent k