Arabic numbers

From: James Tu (jtu@esidesign.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 16:14:36 CST

    I apologize if this is slightly off topic...

    We are working on a kid's website that targets 5 languages and one of
    them is Arabic. We were wondering whether we should be using
    0123456789 (arabic numbers) vs ٠١٢٣٤٣٥٦٧٨٩ (indian numbers,
    I found out that the real Arabic numbers are called indian
    numbers. :) ) This will mostly be used when a user is entering and
    ID number to log into the site.

    On an Arabic keyboard, there is the 'normal' row of arabic numbers
    0123456789. But on the same keys they have the corresponding indian
    numbers, used for Arabic.
    Can anyone help me understand the usage pattern for Arabic speakers
    with these hybrid keyboards. (supposedly, some people doing research
    found that kids learn Indian numbers and then start using Arabic
    0123456789 numbers later)
    - When an Arabic speaker uses their computer and when she types
    numbers, does the operating system default to 0123456789, or does it
    default to Arabic numbers?

    How 'bad' would it be if we required that kids use 0123456789?

    -James