Re: Implementing NFC

From: Markus Scherer (markus.icu@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 13:51:41 CST

    On 3/15/07, Daniel Ehrenberg <microdan@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I'm working on adding Unicode support (possibly eventually conformace)
    > to an obscure programming language called Factor...

    UAX #15 has a link to sample code which shows a simple and small (and
    slow) implementation.

    If you write your runtime library in either C/C++ or in Java, then you
    might want to use the normalization functions from an established
    open-source library rather than rolling your own.

    The one I am thinking of is ICU:
    http://icu-project.org/
    http://icu-project.org/userguide/normalization.html
    http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/nbrowser

    If you use ICU and have questions, please join and write to the
    icu-support list: http://icu-project.org/contacts.html

    If you don't need anything other than normalization, you can build a
    subset of ICU. (You would need a very small part of its large data
    file, and only some of the code.) Or, usually simpler, you can build
    it as a static library so that only needed parts get pulled in. In the
    User Guide and in the icu-support list archive (or live on the list)
    you can also find instructions for pruning ICU. (Chances are that if
    you have other Unicode and internationalization needs in your runtime,
    you may find other parts of ICU useful as well.)

    Best regards,
    markus